Now that you understand more about why quitting can be so hard, you can start to prepare to quit. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services states that medication combined with support is more effective than using either alone. So why not take an approach that can help set you up for success?
Here are 3 steps that can help you begin to plan your quit:
1. Talk to your doctor.
There are many treatment options that you and your doctor can consider. It’s important to discuss your lifestyle and what you’ve tried in the past to find an option that may be right for you. According to studies, about 5% of people are able to quit cold turkey and stay quit for one year. The other 95% or so of us could use a little help. And your doctor is a great first place to turn.
2. Get support from family and friends.
Many smokers are afraid to tell people they’re quitting because they worry they’ll be embarrassed if they don’t succeed. But think about it. Isn't that planning for failure? So why not tell a few people, and ask them for their support? Many former smokers say that the support of family and friends helped them become and stay nonsmokers.
3. Create a plan for quitting.
The Plan-to-Quit Video and Plan-to-Quit Cards on this site can help you plan your quit. You may also consider signing up for a support plan that can give you ongoing support during your quit. Many quit-smoking treatments may also come with free support plans. Talk to your doctor about what might be available to you. Want to start quitting with other smokers like you? Attend a local quit-smoking workshop. Workshops provide an opportunity to meet other quitters and to learn how to quit from the experts. There may even be a quit-smoking workshop near you.